If you are looking for food to comfort you, Zucchini Parmesan Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce is exactly what you need! Lots of fresh herbs explodes them with flavor!
Awhile ago I saw a recipe for zucchini meatballs on Pinterest. They were made with turkey. After our dairy cows get too old to produce milk anymore we harvest them for meat. In other words, we milk cows and sell beef. I can’t bring my beef selling self to buy or eat ground turkey. Besides promoting myself and my industry I am avidly in love with beef. Seriously, I have with drawls if I go out of town and don’t get beef for a few days. What can I say? I’m addicted.
I decided to try adding zucchini and fresh herbs to one of my favorite beef meatball recipes. Look how pretty they are.
It was a good decision! It’s making my mouth water just to look at these meatballs!
Sometimes I skip the whole frying the meatballs to get a nice crusty brown outside. I skip it because I’m a busy mom and farm wife. I also skip it because it splatters grease all over my range and I don’t like cleaning it up. Just keeping it real. You do what makes you feel good about yourself!
I set the meatballs in my baking dish. Then I covered them with an amazingly easy and delicious creamy tomato sauce. That’s why they are called Zucchini Parmesan Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce 🙂
If you still have boatloads of zucchini left in your garden and are sick of making zucchini bread, try these zucchini paremsan meatballs in creamy tomato sauce! If you don’t have boatloads of zucchini ask your neighbor to give you some. I bet they will gladly share some of their bountiful harvest! Seriously, I loved these things! They are packed with incredible flavor and the sauce is to die for!
Zucchini Parmesan Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1 T. minced fresh parsley
- 1 T. minced fresh basil
- 1/2 c. Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1/4. t. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 T. olive oil
- CREAMY TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 12 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 T. fresh basil minced
- 2 T. fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese grated
- minced basil for garnish
- Add all meatball ingredients except ground beef and zucchini to a mixing bowl. Stir together only until combined.
- Add ground beef and zucchini. Gently mix together only until combined.
- Roll into meatballs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet. You may need to brown meatballs in two batches. Add meatballs in to oil. Turn until all sides are brown. Remove to greased baking dish.
- Add cream cheese (I used reduced fat) and marinara sauce to blender. I use my Vitamix because I love it! Blend until creamy and smooth. Stir in basil and parsley.
- Pour creamy tomato sauce over meatballs. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through. If Parmesan becomes too brown cover with foil for the last few minutes of baking.
- Garnish with additional minced basil. Serve over hot cooked pasta.