There are a lot of days when I have to help on the farm. By time I get in the house I’m tired and hungry. Thanks goodness for slow cookers! There’s nothing like coming home to the smell of Cube Steak simmering away in a divine mushroom sauce!
I come from several generations of farm women. My grandma used to work right along with my grandpa. She was and amazing truck driver, cattle worker, bookkeeper, bread baker and canner, among other things. I always thought it was so cool that she could go outside in her grubbies and work then come home and get dolled up for some occasion. I hope I’m like that! I love to go outside and help the boys on the farm. But I also like to get dressed up, once in a while, and feel somewhat pretty.
I will always remember the meals we used to have at grandma’s house. She always served bread and sliced cheese….at every meal! What a good lady! How different her life would have been if she would have had owned a slow cooker. My family survives because I own a slow cooker. There are many days when I am working and don’t have an extra minute to think about dinner. When my boys walk through the door after doing their chores, they are HUNGRY! Trust me, something like chicken salad sandwiches is not going to satisfy them.
They want something hearty, something to warm them up. Slow Cooker Cube Steaks smothered in mushroom sauce is one of those recipes that farm women have been passing down over the years. Comfort food like that hits the spot every time. The longer it cooks the more tender the cube steak gets, until it is falling apart. The mushroom sauce could be eaten alone with a spoon.
A recipe that gets better the longer it cooks, with no attention from me, is the kind of recipe I need. It allows me to satisfy my boys never ending hunger and still get my work done! By the way, I don’t go outside and help unless the weather is nice! Yes, I am a fair weather worker and I can get away with it because I have endless farm jobs to do in the house!
What is your go to recipe on those extra busy days?
Slow Cooker Cube Steak in Mushroom Sauce
- 2 pounds cube steaks
- 1/4 c. flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 envelope Lipton's onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can milk
- splash of Kitchen Bouquet I mostly use it for added color, I usually add about a tsp.
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- fettuccini noodles or hot cooked rice
- Lay cube steaks flat on a cutting board. Sprinkle one side with flour, salt and pepper. Pound meat with a meat tenderizer, or a knife. Flip steaks and repeat on the other side.
- Mix dry onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, milk, Kitchen Bouquet and thyme together.
- Put a single layer of steak in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then pour mushroom sauce on top. Sprinkle sliced mushrooms over sauce.
- Repeat with remaining layers of steak, sauce and mushrooms.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve over cooked noodles or rice.