Crock Pot Cube Steak is an easy recipe that creates the most fork-tender, falling apart cubed steaks ever! Plus they create their own creamy mushroom gravy as it cooks! Serve it over mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or by itself!
NOTE: This recipe was updated in 2020 to include new images and some extra tips. The recipe stayed exactly the same!
There are a lot of days when I have to help on the farm. By the time I get into the house I’m tired and hungry. Thank goodness for slow cookers! There’s nothing like coming home to the smell of Cube Steak simmering away in a divine mushroom sauce!
Slow Cooker Cube Steak is great for busy days
I come from several generations of farm women. My grandma used to work right along with my grandpa. She was an amazing truck driver, cattle worker, bookkeeper, bread baker, and canner, among other things. It was so cool that she could go outside in her grubbies and work then come home and get dolled up for some occasion. I love to go outside and help the boys on the farm. But I also like to get dressed up, once in a while and feel somewhat pretty.
I will always remember the meals we used to have at grandma’s house. She always served bread and sliced cheese….at every meal! What a good lady! How different her life would have been if she would have had owned a slow cooker. My family survives because I own a slow cooker. There are many days when I am working and don’t have an extra minute to think about dinner. When my boys walk through the door after doing their chores, they are HUNGRY! Trust me, something like chicken salad sandwiches is not going to satisfy them.
All about Cube Steak
I’ve answered all the questions about in this post called What is Cube Steak! I’ll walk you through how to tenderize cube steak without a meat mallet. The best ways to cook Swiss steak. What it’s made of and what cut of meat it comes from.
Seriously, go check it out because it has all my tips on a super quick and easy way to tenderize cube steak! I’ve been using this method for years and it works great. No special kitchen gadgets or tools needed!
How to make Crock Pot Cube Steak
STEP 1: Tenderize cubed steaks as I showed you with all the other stuff you need to know about cube steak!
STEP 2: Make the cream of mushroom, or onion gravy, by mixing onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, and a little milk together. It will be lumpy but don’t worry about that.
STEP 3: Layer half of the cubed steaks in the bottom of a slow cooker then add half of the gravy mix.
STEP 4: Repeat step 3 layering the other half of the meat and sauce. Add sliced mushrooms if you’d like.
STEP 5: Let it cook in the crock pot on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. Garnish with chopped parsley if you’d like!
What to serve with Crock-Pot Cube Steaks
We LOVE these steaks served over pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes. It’s also great served by itself with a few sides! These are all great choices.
- Smashes Potatoes – quick and easy
- Cheesy Potatoes – can be made ahead
- Slow Cooker Corn Casserole – creamy and cheesy
- Glazed Carrots – a skillet side dish
- Bacon Peas – easy and flavorful
- Garlic Knots – with parmesan
- Herb Monkey Bread – so cheesy and yummy
- No Knead Wheat Bread – so easy
Get the Crock Pot Cube Steak recipe!
When your crew wants something hearty, something to warm them up. Slow Cooker Cube Steaks in mushroom gravy is one of those recipes that farm women have been passing down over the years. Comfort food like that hits the spot every time. The longer it cooks the more tender the cube steak gets until it is falling apart. The mushroom sauce could be eaten alone with a spoon.
Slow Cooker Cube Steak in Mushroom Sauce
- 2 pounds cube steaks
- 1/4 c. flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 envelope Lipton’s onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can milk
- splash of Kitchen Bouquet I mostly use it for added color, I usually add about a tsp.
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- fettuccini noodles or hot cooked rice
- Lay cube steaks flat on a cutting board. Sprinkle one side with flour, salt and pepper. Pound meat with a meat tenderizer, or a knife. Flip steaks and repeat on the other side.
- Mix dry onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, milk, Kitchen Bouquet and thyme together.
- Put a single layer of steak in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then pour mushroom sauce on top. Sprinkle sliced mushrooms over sauce.
- Repeat with remaining layers of steak, sauce and mushrooms.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve over cooked noodles or rice.