It wasn’t until I was much older in life before I had the luxury of going out to get ice cream. I never realized there were so many flavors to choose from. Once I found out about mint chocolate chip, I rarely chose anything else. Eating minty desserts seems like the right thing to do during the Holidays! I love that these are as “melt in your mouth” soft as sugar cookies without all of the fuss or rolling out and decorating traditional sugar cookies. Let’s keep it real here, sometimes us women just don’t have time for all of that fuss…but still need a crowd pleasing cookie! Mint Chip Sugar Cookies will help you please your crowds and save you time to boot! Enjoy!!
NOTE: I updated some of the photos for this post in 2017! The recipe and instructions stayed exactly the same because they were already perfect just as they were! Enjoy!
Watch Mint Chip Sugar Cookie Video to see how to make them!
Check out my video to see how to make Mint Chip Sugar Cookies! Keep in mind, I usally add green food coloring at the same time as I add peppermint extract. Follow the recipe and not me! Ha! My husband came in and asked me a question about the farm and I totally got side tracked! I’m not entirely blaming him…maybe I’m just saying I get distracted easily! Anyway, I still think it’s easier to add food coloring right after you cream the sugar, butter, and eggs than adding it with the flour!
One of the secrets to making Mint Chip Sugar Cookies is allowing the sugar and butter to cream for 3 minutes. Trust me, it makes the cookies extra soft!
Add green food coloring and peppermint extract. Cream again for about 2 minutes.
It was beautiful before. However, after adding all of the dry ingredients and mint and chocolate chips it is irresistibly good. Yes, I have a problem with eating WAY too much cookie dough. The only thing that saves me from eating all of it is that I have to tell my kids (and husband) that they can’t have anymore. And I feel hypocritical if I keep eating it and won’t let them have any.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, they will start to crack when they are done. Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Note: If you choose to use a smaller cookie scoop reduce baking time!
Grab the Mint Chip Sugar Cookie Recipe!
It’s just not Christmas until you’ve made Mint Chip Sugar Cookies!
My kiddo’s keep asking me when we can have green cookies again. Since they are a cinch to make I’m thinking it will make a great after school surprise this week!
Be sure to pin it for later!
Mint Chip Sugar Cookies
- 1 c. butter softened
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- a few drops of green green food coloring I used about 3 drops, use how many you want to make the cookies the color green you like
- 3 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 oz. Andes Creme de Menthe Baking Chips
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and sugar for about three minutes. It should be fluffy.
- Add eggs, green food coloring and peppermint extract. Cream for another 2-3 minutes.
- Measure dry ingredients in a separate bowl or sifter. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add mint and chocolate chips. Gently stir to until incorporated.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop cookies using a 2 Tablespoon size cookie scoop.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Watch for the cookies to begin cracking. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes. Transfer to cookie rack and finish cooling.
- Note: If you choose to use a smaller cookie scoop reduce baking time to 8 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks it Up