Strawberry Poke Cake happens to be one of my new favorite cakes and definitely my new favorite version of strawberries and cream! This is the cake you are going to want to serve from Valentine’s Day all throughout the summer!
Today is one of those days. I’ve been doing farm work all day. It will be dinner time in about an hour and I have no idea what we are having. Maybe it will be cold cereal, scrambled eggs, or mac and cheese from a box.
Who cares what we are having for dinner anyway, the important question is what are we having for dessert? Strawberry Poke Cake that’s what on tap for dessert and I couldn’t be more excited!
Usually I’m a chocolate dessert only kind of girl. Let’s be honest for a minutes if a dessert has fruit it should really be called breakfast! Please don’t judge me! This cake though, it’s so luscious it truly does count as dessert and a dang good one at that!
This cake is so a cinch to make. Between doing accounts payables and payroll I took a little break and whipped it up. Yes, I made dessert way before I even contemplated dinner.
Bake a strawberry cake mix according to package directions.
Next, poke holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon. I space them about every inch.
Mix sweetened condensed milk and strawberry sundae topping together.
Pour sweetened condensed milk mixture over warm cake making sure it fills all those little holes up.
Let the cake sit while you finish payroll, or do the laundry, or take a nap.
Once the cake has completely cooked spread whipped topping over cake.
Let it hang out in the refrigerator for a few hours. My family actually thinks this cake is even better the next day. Giving the cake a little extra time gives it a chance to soak up all that yummy sweetened condensed milk mixture!
Sprinkle with cute Valentine’s Day sprinkles if you like that kind of thing. Come on…who doesn’t like that kind of thing?
Strawberry Poke Cake is packed with refeshing flavors that I start to crave in the spring time! It really is a breath of fresh air after a long winter! It’s also a simple, festive dessert for Valentine’s Day!
Here are a few of my Valentine’s Day menu favorites:
- 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix (plus ingredients listed on cake mix)
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 11.75 oz. jar strawberry topping (it’s by the ice cream toppings in the grocery store)
- 1 8 oz. container of whipped topping
- Valentine’s sprinkles, for decoration if desired
- Fresh strawberry, for decoration if desired
- Make and bake cake in a 9 x 13 pan according to directions on the box.
- Mix sweetened condensed milk and strawberry topping together.
- While cake is still warm, poke holes in it every inch with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk mixture over the cake making sure it fills the holes as much as possible.
- Let the cake cool.
- Spread whipped topping over cake.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired.
- Refrigerate for 2 or more hours. My family likes this cake best the next day.