Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas
When my kids are headed out the door on extra busy mornings I hand them Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadilla’s and feel like a super hero because I they actaully got breakfast that wasn’t out of a box! I prep most of the ingredients the day before and all that’s left in the morning is assembling them! Easy!
Please tell me that I’m not the only one who runs around like a crazy lady in the mornings! It doesn’t seem to matter how much preparing I do the day before mornings are always rough. Branson wakes up at 6:00 every single morning and practices the piano without even being asked, begged, prodded, or reminded. Carson sleeps until I force him to get out of bed and then just sits there and soaks up the morning. Then there’s Payson…he could sleep until noon every day if I let him.
I’m telling you though, having breakfast almost ready to go before you go to bed saves so much hassle in the morning. Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas have become a favorite around here because not only do they taste amazing, they are quick to make. And quick is the name of my game in the morning!
NOTE: This post was updated to include additional information in 2018.
Here’s how to prepare for breakfast the night before.
- Dice your ham the night before. If I’m really on top of it I dice leftover ham before I even stick it in the fridge. Check out this tutorial on how to dice it super quick!
- Hard boil and dice eggs the night before. I actually do this during the day when the kids are at school becauese evenings are crazy too.
- Shred lots of cheese at once and store it in a ziplock bag in the fridge. It’ll be waiting for you in the morning!
How to quickly make breakfast on busy mornings?
- Warm a skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter
- Set one tortilla in skillet
- Layer cheese, ham, and eggs on tortilla
- Be sure to use plenty of cheese
- Set the other tortilla on top
- Let cook until bottom tortilla is golden brown
- Flip and try not to let fillings fall out!
- Cook until second side is golden brown
- Remove from skillet and set on cutting board
- Let rest for a few minutes then cut into wedges and serve
What do I serve with Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas?
- My boys like them with salsa and sour cream. Try this Tomatillo Lime Salsa for a little extra flavor!
- Perfect Fresh Fruit Salad is a nice healthy breakfast side.
- Raspberry Vanilla Fruit Salad is a fun one.
- Sunshine Smoothies are awesome if you need to hand breakfast to your family on their way out the door!
How to customize breakfast quesadillas?
There are so many fun options for making breakfast quesadillas exactly how you like them. Here are some of our favorite combinations!
- Sauteed onions, peppers, and mushrooms (okay, I’m the only one that likes that)
- Add fried and crumbled sausage
- Sprinkle some crumbled bacon on there.
- Diced tomatoes are yummy too!
Sometimes my kiddos are headed out the door on their way to school, sometimes they are headed out the door to go to work on the farm. Either way they are always starving and looking for something to fill their tummies first thing in the morning! Quesadillas are just the thing!
You guys Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas are on of the most popular posts on my site! They are cheesy, gooey, hearty, and EASY! What more could a mamma ask for in the morning? Well, let’s not start talking about that! We want to think good thoughts here!
Have a happy morning!
Here’s the printable recipe!
- 2 flour tortilla shells
- 1 T. butter
- 2 hard boiled eggs, diced
- ½ c. ham, diced
- ½ c. grated Swiss cheese
- ½ c. grated cheddar cheese
- mushrooms, sauteed
- onions, sauteed
- bacon, sauteed
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Lay one tortilla shell to skillet.
- Sprinkle grated Swiss cheese on tortilla.
- Sprinkle diced eggs and ham over cheese layer.
- Next, sprinkle any other optional toppings.
- Add layer of cheddar cheese.
- Top with remaining tortilla.
- As soon as the bottom tortilla is golden brown, flip the whole quesadilla over. Let me know if you figure out how to do this without spilling all the yummy inside ingredients. If you do...just scoop them back in with a spatula.
- Continue cooking until second side is golden brown.
- Remove to a cutting board. Cut into wedges.
- Serve warm!