Ham and Potato Soup
This Ham and Potato Soup is loaded with leftover ham, corn, and plenty of cheese to make it incredibly creamy and cheesy! This potato soup recipe is always a hit! Plus, it can be made in the Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stove-top. You decide if you need it to cook low and slow, or you want dinner right now!
- 6 cups diced potatoes Yukon Gold or Russets
- 1/2 cup diced onion red, yellow, purple, or sweet
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1 ounce package Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix Just the dry mix.
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced ham
Potato Soup Garnish
- sliced green onions
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- additional shredded cheddar cheeese
- sour cream
STEP 1: Sautee onions. Add butter to the pressure cooker (or stockpot). Melt. Add diced onions. Cook, stirring frequently until onions are tender. Skip this step if using a slow cooker.
STEP 2: Add vegetables and ham. Add diced potatoes, corn, and diced ham to the pressure cooker or stockpot. Add potatoes, corn, ham, and onions to slow cooker.
STEP 3: Add broth and cook. Add chicken broth. Seal pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. For stovetop, bring to a gentle boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. For slow cooker sprinkle flour and seasonings over vegetables and toss to coat. Add chicken broth and stir. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. Skip step 4 for slow cooker.
STEP 4: Add seasonings. Add dry ranch seasoning packet, parsley and flour. Stir.
STEP 5: Add milk. Gradually add milk and stir. Set pressure cooker to sauté cook, stirring constantly, until soup has thickened. If using a stockpot cook over medium heat. For slow cooker add milk, stir. Cook for about 20 more minutes until thickened.
STEP 6: Add cheese and season to taste. Ham and cheese are both salty foods so you might not need to add any salt. Taste, and adjust seasonings. Add pepper if you’d like.
STEP 7: Garnish and serve. We love extra grated cheese, fresh parsley, and even cooked, diced bacon. Feel free to add whatever you love! Sour cream is great too!
Ham Soup Ingredient Substitutions:
Pressure Cooker, stock-pot, and slow cooker instructions:
- Whole Milk - can use heavy cream, half and half, 2% or evaporated (not sweetened condensed milk).
- Ham - I like using leftover ham. You can also buy pre-cooked ham from the deli. Can also use fried and crumbled sausage, or cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Flour - Use the same amount of cornstarch for a gluten-free soup.
- Cheese - Sharp cheeses add more flavor. You can use any cheese you like as long as it melts well.
- Potatoes - Yukon Gold and Russets are the best potatoes for making soup. I like to peel them but you don't have to.
- I've added instructions for each method.
- The pressure cooker or stove-top methods are the quickest and will take about 30 minutes.
- The Crock-pot doesn't require much hands-on time but will require additional cooking time.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 1336mg | Potassium: 290mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 318mg | Iron: 1mg