Hawaiian Haystacks is a quick and easy meal that my kids are in LOVE with! Serve fluffy rice with this amazing chicken sauce, then pile it high with your favorite toppings!BTW, my recipe is a little different than others because this chicken gravy is made from scratch and not from cream of chicken soup. It’s totally worth the little bit of effort to make it.
Servings 8 Servings
To make the Hawaiian curry:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup milk whole, 2%, or skim
- 2 cups pineapple juice see note below
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts shredded or diced
To serve with the Curry Sauce:
- 6 cups cooked rice any variety
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onions and sautee until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add seasonings and flour to the onions. Continue cooking and stirring until a paste is formed.
While whisking slowly add milk and pineapple juice. Continue stirring until the mixture is thickened. This will take about 5-7 minutes. You want it the constency of a thick soup.
Add cooked and shredded or diced chicken. Stir.
Serve over hot cooked rice with your favorite toppings.
Toppings: (Not included in nutritional information)
- If you're using pineapple for a topping, drain the pineapple and reserve the juice to use in the sauce.
- You'll need 2 cups of pineapple juice. If you don't have quite enough you can use more milk or chicken broth to make the rest of the 2 cups.
- Fruit: Pineapple tidbits, mandarin oranges, grapes, dried cranberries
- Vegetables: Diced tomatoes, green peppers, green onions, thawed green peas, celery
- Shredded Cheese: This is a must! Cheddar, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack are all good options.
- Nuts: Slivered walnuts, chopped almonds, or pecans.
- Coconut: shredded. So good!
- Chow Mein Noodles: Not my favorite.
- Olives: I don’t do this one but I know lots of people do.
- To reheat Hawaiian Haystacks in the microwave until warmed through. Time will vary depending on how much gravy you have and how hot your microwave heats.
- Add chicken and gravy to the crockpot and cook it on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours. It’s such a lifesaver to come home to dinner in the slow cooker on busy days!
Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 571mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 331IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg