Crispy Smashed Red Potatoes
Smashed Red Potatoes are the easiest potato side dish recipe ever! And if that’s not enough, they’re extra crispy and buttery on the outside, and fluffy on the inside!
Servings 8 Servings
- 2 pounds red potatoes The size of a golf ball
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
Pressure Cooker: Add cleaned and unpeeled potatoes to the pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water. Set valve to seal. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.Stove-top: Add cleaned, unpeeled potatoes to a pot. Cover with water. Bring water to a boil. Turn heat down to medium-high. Boil for 10 minutes or until fork-tender. Cooking times may vary a little depending on the variety and size of potatoes. This is a good average! Just make sure they are fork-tender.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray a half sheet baking pan with nonstick baking spray. For easier cleanup the pan can be lined with aluminum foil first, then spray the foil.
Remove potatoes from the pressure cooker and drain. Let sit for a minute until they are dry. Smash potatoes with a potato masher or a large fork. I usually smash them until they are about 1/2 inch thick. The flatter and thinner the potato the crispier it will be.
Melt butter. Add olive oil. Generously brush on top of potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cripsy.
Serve exactly as they are or, garnish potatoes if you would like. See notes below.
Smashed Potato Varieties:
Best Potatoes for Smashed Potatoes (the size of a golf ball):
- Loaded: Add fried and crumbled bacon, scallions, and cheddar cheese during the last minute of baking.
- Parmesan: Add grated parmesan cheese and rosemary during the last minute of baking.
- Garlic Butter: Add garlic paste, or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, to the melted butter and olive oil.
- Herbs: Any fresh herbs will give them a fun pop of color and flavor.
- Baby red potatoes
- Fingerling potatoes
- Small Yukon Gold
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 516mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 139IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg