Every year my family goes to the mountains to cut down a Christmas tree! It happens to be all three of my boys favorite Christmas tradition. We break out the Christmas music for the first time and head for the hills. We always end up with a Charlie Brown Christmas tree but we have fun together and that is what matters the most!
This year my sister even got to join in on the fun! My boys LOVE her!
Most traditions that my family has includes food in some way. Christmas tree hunting is no different. We always bring this Winter Wonderland Mix to munch on after our long hike up the mountain in search of the perfect tree.
Actually, we bring four wheeler’s and drive them as far up the mountain as possible! It’s just the way we do things. And this candy makes the experience complete!
This candy is so simple to make and only takes a few minutes. Melt some almond bark in the microwave. Be sure to melt it at half power and stir it part way through.
While the almond bark is melting measure chex, peanuts, marshmallows and pretzels in a separate bowl.
When the almond bark is melted and smooth pour in the “goodies”. I also added some dried cherries and they were divine. Although I usually add dried cranberries. Stir to coat evenly coat with almond bark.
Then add Christmas M&M’s. Stir again.
Spread the mix on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. You might even want to use two cookie sheets.
Let mix cool and set. Package in pretty containers and give as gifts. It’s pretty served in a bowl or individual cups! I dare you to try and save some for later! It’s almost impossible.
Winter Wonderland Chex Mix
- 20 oz. Almond Bark
- 7 cups Chex I used corn, but you can use any combination you like
- 1 cup Dried cranberries
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 2 cups peanuts
- 2 cups M&M's
- Melt almond bark, in a large mixing bowl, in the microwave. I always melt chocolate at half power and stir about every 30 seconds. Continue cooking almond bark until it is smooth.
- While almond bark is melting (or before if you are organized), measure the rest of the ingredients.
- When almond bark is melted add Chex, cranberries, pretzels, marshmallows and peanuts. Toss to coat with almond bark. Add M&M's and toss again.
- Set mix on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Let cool until set.
- Store in an air tight container.
- NOTE: This recipe is easy to cut in half.