Whole Wheat French Bread
- 2 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 T. yeast
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 c. whole wheat flour add more as needed
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for about 10 minutes until bubbly and activated.
- Add remaining ingrdients. Using a dough hook mix until combined. Check consistency of dough. Dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is too sticky add additional flour one Tablespoon at a time until consistency is soft.
- Continue mixing dough on low speed for 5 mintues.
- Cover bowl with towel and allow to sit in a warm place for 10 minutes. Punch dough down. Cover and repeat process tow more times for a total of 30 minutes of rising.
- After the third time divide the dough in half. Shape in two long loaves on a floured surface. Place loaves on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut diagonal slices in the tops of each loaf. Whisk egg whie. Brush with egg mixture.
- Cover and let rise about 15-20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let sit in bread pans for a couple minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool.