Remember how I said we only have a few weeks of warm summer weather here? That means our growing season is extra short. I don’t usually have access to fresh herbs in the grocery store either. So when my basil plants in my garden start looking like this…I can hardly contain myself!
My tomatoes are actually going to produce tomatoes this year! I have to tell you the tomatoes for this pasta did not come from my garden. But soon they will!
If you find yourself starting to make dinner at 10:40 at night make Tomato Basil Pasta! It’s fabulous for late nights, or any time really! Oh ya, I used my Basil Pesto recipe for this, which I keep in the fridge at all times once my basil is big enough to use. If you don’t have any pesto or basil you could always buy some pesto. I’m telling you, if you grew basil in your garden you would fall in love!
Tomato Basil Pasta
- 1/3 c. prepared pesto
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. ricotta cheese
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
- 2. T. butter
- 8 oz. pasta cooked to al dente
- 2 to matoes diced
- additional Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on the top
- freshly ground black pepper and salt
- parsley or basil for garnish
- Add butter and cream to sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Add pesto, Parmesan and ricotta cheese. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over hot cooked pasta.
- Add diced tomatoes to pasta.
- Toss pasta and sauce.
- Garnish with parsley or basil and additional Parmesan cheese.
- NOTE: Adding grilled chicken turns this into a hearty meal!