Slow Cooker Skinny Orange Chicken is bursting with sweet orange flavor, a little mild spiciness, and is so EASY! It’s exactly the kind of recipe I need on my work days, especially since I don’t live near takeout food!
It seems like everywhere I go people say, “You must really like to cook. It’s pretty obvious you spend all day doing it”. They are right; I do love to cook. And they are wrong; I do not spend all day cooking. I’m a normal mom with normal amounts of mom running around errands. I’m also pretty busy helping on the farm. There are some days when I know I’m not going to have time to make an elaborate meal, like 99% of the time. That’s why my blog is chockful of super easy, little prep required recipes. Recipes like this cheesy tortellini, and these sliders, and this creamy southwest chicken soup. This orange chicken recipe even happens to be skinny! Double bonus!
Today I’m sharing another super quick and easy recipe. I like to make this chicken and sauce the night before or in the morning. Then I stick it in the fridge until it’s time to go on the slow cooker. Pretty easy!
I didn’t take pictures of the whole process but here’s what I’ve got!
Cut chicken into cubes. Put them in a container, a sealable bag, a bowl, or even a slow cooker liner. Add a little cornstarch and shake it up until they are all coated. Add to slow cooker.
Mix a few ingredients together and pour over chicken. Refrigerate or get it right on the slow cooker base. And let her rip tater chip! That’s it! Just wait until you smell the orange wafting through the house!
That’s all there is to it, Except cooking some rice, which is super easy to do in a pressure cooker. If you want a little healthier option you can use brown rice. Garnish with a few sesame seeds and sliced scallions if you are feeling all fancy. If not, throw it in a paper bowl and be proud of yourself that you made dinner! By the way, my farming boys don’t notice the sesame seeds, hate the scallions, and prefer paper bowls! All that extra fluff is just for me!
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ c. cornstarch
- ½ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. orange juice concentrate
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 c. chicken broth
- ½ c. honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 T. orange zest
- dash cayenne pepper
- salt to taste (I used a few dashes)
- brown or white rice, cooked
- sesame seeds optional
- scallions, optional
- Add cubed chicken to a bag, add cornstarch, toss to coat. Put chicken in slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl add soy sauce, orange juice concentrate, tomato paste, chicken broth, honey, garlic, ginger, orange zest, pepper, and salt. Stir together until combined. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Either refrigerate until ready to cook, or begin cooking. Slow cook on high 4 hours or on low 6-8 hours.
- After cooking time, stir and check for consistency. If the sauce is too thin, make a slurry by mixing about a tablespoon of cornstarch with about ¼ cup water. Add slurry to the sauce and continue cooking for about 20 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add chicken broth, orange juice (my favorite), or water until you get desired consistency.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.