French Dip Sandwiches was one of the first recipes I posted! I started with it because it is a staple at our house. They show up on our table several times a month. I love them because, well, they taste amazing! And because I throw the meat in the slow cooker and it’s ready when we are! I’ve updated the sandwich since the beginning days. You must try this sandwich. It will become a winner in your dinner rotation too!
I usually make this ahead of time and usually with leftover Sunday dinner roast. So here’s what I do.
1. Add roast, seasonings and Au Jus to slow cooker. Let it rip.
2. Slice cheese and refrigerate until I’m ready to throw the sandwiches together.
3. Slice and butter buns. Store in an air tight bag (the one they came in) until time to broil.
4. Saute some onions and pepper. Refrigerate until I’m ready for them.
When I get home all I have to do is stick the buns under the broiler for a minute. Layer cheese and meat on buns. Microwave peppers and onions. Serve with au jus on the side. Seriously, a hearty sandwich can be on the table in no time!!
By the way, I’m thinking this would be absolutely delish as a slider for the big game on Sunday!!
- 1 pound roast beef, cooked and shredded
- 1 1 oz. pkg. Au Jus Mix (I like McCormick)
- beef broth (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hoagie buns
- 3 T. butter
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 red pepper
- ½ onion
- In slow cooker, mix Au Jus mix according to package directions. Stir in garlic, salt and pepper. Add shredded roast beef. The beef should be covered with Au Jus, if not add enough beef broth to cover. Cook in slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours.
- Slice pepper and onions. Saute in one Tablespoon of butter.
- Butter buns with remaining butter. Broil buns about 1 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Slice cheese. Layer cheese on one side of each browned hoagie buns. Return to oven, on lower rack, until cheese is melted.
- With a slotted spoon remove meat from slow cooker and pile it on the melted cheese.
- Add onions and peppers to the meat.
- Serve with Au Jus.
- NOTE: I usually prepare this meal in advance. See blog post for suggestions.