Adding sauteed peppers and onions seemed like the right thing to do. You could spread a layer of horseradish on the bread too, if you are into that sort of thing.
And more cheese never hurt anything. It’s a grilled cheese after all!
If you are making prime rib for Christmas I would suggest ordering a little bigger roast than you think you will need. You are going to want a little extra so you can make this mouth watering Prime Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich! If fact, I think I might have this sandwich for breakfast the morning after Christmas!
Prime Rib Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices bread sourdough would be delicious
- 2 T. horseradish sauce optional
- 4 T. butter softened
- thinly sliced prime rib as much as you want
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1/4 onion sliced
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- Saute onions and peppers in a tablespoon of butter until they are tender. Set aside.
- Spread outsides of two pieces of bread to make a sandwich.
- Place a slice of cheese on unbuttered side of the bread. Then layer with half of the sliced prime rib. Top with half of the peppers and onion. Add a slice of cheddar cheese to the top. Spread the unbuttered side of one slice of bread with horseradish sauce if you want. Put other buttered piece of bread on top to make sandwich, buttered side outside.
- Repeat with other two slices of bread to make another sandwich.
- Grill sandwich over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice in half and serve immediately!