The combination of fudgy brownies and crispy oatmeal crust is irresistible in these Oatmeal Brownie Bars! This is a fun twist on already decadent brownies!
Last weekend my family went out to dinner. Somehow the conversation turned to our most common childhood meal, oatmeal. We ate oatmeal every weekday morning during my whole childhood. It was cheap, it was fast and it fed and army. Mostly because it was cheap! My brother conducted a non scientific poll to see how many family member still eat oatmeal. No one in my family will eat oatmeal, except my parents!
Even though we won’t eat oatmeal for breakfast, we still like oatmeal cookies and other treats made with oatmeal. These Oatmeal Brownie Bars are a perfect way to sneak fiber packed oatmeal into your diet. Let’s face it, you can sneak almost anything into your diet if you pair it with brownies! Especially these brownies! They are so decadent they kinda remind me of eating fudge! Oatmeal fudge?
1. I’m too impatient for time consuming things like cutting butter into oatmeal crust with two knives, or a fork.
2. When the oatmeal is all ground up it doesn’t remind me of oatmeal.
You are going to love these Oatmeal Brownie Bites! I know it! My family devoured them in no time at all. I adapted this recipe from a Land O Lakes recipe!
Oatmeal Brownie Bars
- OATMEAL LAYER:
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 c. uncooked quick oats
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. butter no substitutes
- BROWNIE LAYER
- 1/3 c. butter
- 3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust add flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt to a food processor. Cut 2/3 cup cold butter into small pieces. Add to food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 1/4 cups oatmeal mixture. Spread remaining oatmeal mixture into greased 9" x 13" pan. Press gently. Bake 10 minutes.
- For the brownies melt unsweetened chocolate and 1/3 cup butter in the microwave in 45 second intervals.
- Add sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla to mixing bowl. Beat until well mixed. While mixing gradually pour chocolate/butter mixture into wet ingredients.
- Add flour and baking powder to wet ingredients. Mix.
- Pour brownie batter over oatmeal crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Sprinkle remaining oatmeal crumbs over brownies. Press gently.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- Cool. Cut into bars.