Yesterday we woke up to snow. I don’t just love it when the weather teases us. I think it should blow and snow until it is all done. Then it should be nice and stay nice. But since the weather doesn’t listen to me we had a blustery day. I decided that the weather was a good excuse to make some Hot Fudge Cake.
This cake lives up to its name. It’s hot and fudgy. As the cake cooks it creates its own fudge to swim in. It’s perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream. Some people call this cake depression cake. And it lives up to that name too. The cake requires very few ingredients that are very inexpensive. You probably have all of them in your pantry right now. So let’s get started. You deserve hot fudge cake too.
Put flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bow. Give it a stir to combine. If you want chocolate pudding and white cake just leave the cocoa out of this step.
Spread the cake batter in a greased 8×8 baking dish. The batter will be thick.
I use the same mixing bowl to mix the cake topping. It really doesn’t matter if the bowl has some cake batter in it. It’s all going to going to the same place anyway. Besides my boys are in school and so I don’t have a dishwasher. Mix sugar, brown sugar and cocoa together.
Sprinkle the dry cake topping over the cake batter.
Pour hot tap water over the cake batter and dry cake topping. Don’t stir it in. It will magically make hot fudge sauce for your cake to swim in.
Bake the cake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. If you can help yourself let is stand for about 15 minutes before you serve it.
Definitely serve this cake with vanilla ice cream of whipped cream. This is sure to warm you up and let your family know that you love them. After all, if the cake lasts long enough for them to know that you made it, they will know that you really love them.
Hot Fudge Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups hottest tap water
- ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 3/4 sugar, flour, 3 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Mix melted butter, milk and vanilla together.
- Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until combined. Spread in a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Make cake topping by mixing together brown sugar, 1/2 cup of sugar and 4 Tablespoons cocoa. Sprinkle over the top of cake batter.
- Pour hottest tap water over the cake batter and cake topping. Do NOT stir.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.