This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YourSeasonIsServed #CollectiveBias
Hot Chocolate Sundae Cake is an ultra decadent chocolate cake that magically creates it’s own hot chocolate sauce as it bakes! Top it off with a generous dollop of Reddi-wip, it’s even better than warming up to a mug of hot chocolate!
Hot Chocolate Sundae Cake will remind you of warming up to a mug of hot chocolate!
Last winter I bought a hot chocolate maker for Justin’s Christmas present. My boys went crazy over that thing. I can’t even begin to tell you how many gallons of hot chocolate they drank. With each batch of hot chocolate they made they got a little more creative with add-ins. After all their creativity, they still loved marshmallows and Reddi-wip the best. What can I say they are traditional like that! I decided to turn their addiction into a cake…a Hot Chocolate Sundae Cake!
This cake has all their favorite things about hot chocolate. It begins with a marshmallow and chocolate chip filled chocolate cake. The best part though is the hot chocolate sauce that magically appears while this cake bakes! Serve it warm with a dollop of Reddi-wip! It truly is everything you love about hot chocolate in dessert form!
Hot Chocolate Sundae Cake is a quick and easy dessert to make which makes it perfect for holiday entertaining!
Mix dry ingredients together.
Whisk wet ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. The cake batter will be thick.
Add marshmallows and chocolate chips! Stir.
Spread in a greased 9″ pan. It’s a little tricky to spread the batter because it’s so thick. Don’t worry if it isn’t even or spread clear to the edge.
Mix hot chocolate mix and brown sugar together. Just use the same bowl you used before. It makes dish washing duty better!
Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over cake. Don’t stir.
Mix two envelopes of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate with hot water. Pour over cake but DO NOT stir.
You can use any flavor of Swiss Miss hot chocolate you like but we marshmallow and milk chocolate are our favorites!
Hot Chocolate Sundae Cake is one of those desserts that everyone loves! It’s a chocolate lovers dream come true! And I love it because I almost always have the ingredients on hand to make it. And because it simplifies my life and that’s especially important during the holidays!
Bake cake. It will be jiggly in the center. You will probably see hot chocolate fudge bubbling up through the cake! Yum!
Spoon Hot Chocolate Cake into serving bowls. Make sure you get a little of that hot chocolate fudge! This cake is super rich and decadent and it needs a hearty dollop of Reddi-wip to balance out all that sweet! Seriously, this cake is the best way to enjoy hot chocolate!
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. baking cocoa
- 1 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c. milk
- 4 T. butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c. marshmallows
- ⅓ c. brown sugar
- 4 pkgs. Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Envelops ((marshmallow lovers flavor is good))
- 1 c. hottest tap water
- 1 can Reddi-wip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 9”x9” pan with nonstick spray.
- To a medium sized mixing bowl add granulated sugar, ¼ cup of baking cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
- To a separate bowl add milk, melted butter, egg yolk, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until well combined. Batter will be thick. Add chocolate chips and marshmallows to the cake batter and stir to incorporate. Place cake batter in prepared 9”x9” pan and spread to edges.
- I used to the same bowl used to make the cake batter in for this next step. Add brown sugar and 2 packages Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate envelopes to bowl and mix. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over the top of cake. Do not stir.
- Measure 1 cup hottest tap water into a measuring cup. Add remaining two envelopes of Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa to water and stir until combined. Pour Swiss Miss hot chocolate over the top of the cake. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake cake for 22-24 minutes. The cake will look a little underdone and that’s exactly how it should look. Marshmallows should be golden brown.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes. Serve warm with a generous amount of Reddi-wip topping.