I make beef stew every fall after I harvest my garden. It just seems like the right thing to do. You know…when you have boxes upon boxes of onions, carrots and potatoes you should make beef stew. Besides that I really get a kick out of creating a meal totally from food that we produced. We even have beef from animals that we raised in our freezer. It makes me happy to be self sufficient. I’m equally as proud when I can make a meal in the spring from the produce harvested in my garden months before.
Heat a heavy pan over medium high heat, closer to high than medium. Add some olive oil and stew meat. Seer meat until it is browned and beautiful. Seer in small batches if you have more than a single layer. Remove from a pan and add to slow cooker.
Mince 3 cloves of garlic.
Here is my self sufficient tomato juice!
And my not self sufficient beef broth!!
Add tomato sauce and beef broth to a large bowl. Add spices and salt.
Dice potatoes, onions and carrots. Add garlic and broth/tomato/spices mixture. Give it a gentle stir.
Cook it in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Fresh parsley brings some, well, freshness and prettiness to the stew.
Whether you go to your stash of garden produce or to the local Walmart…gather up the ingredients and make this stew. During the busy “Mom” days it’s so nice to add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and have dinner ready!
Hearty Beef Stew (Slow Cooker)
- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 medium potatoes diced
- 4 carrots cut in rounds
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 3 T. flour optional
- Grated cheese for serving
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat a stock pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add stew meat and seer on all sides until it is nicely browned. If you have more than a single layer of meat, seer it in batches.
- Add meat, and diced veggies to slow cooker.
- Add tomato juice, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and sugar to a large measuring cup, or bowl. Mix together. Pour over veggies and meat in slow cooker. Gently stir together.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours of on high for 3-4 hours.
- At this point, if your stew is thinner than you would like...Add 3 T of flour to a measuring cup. Remove 1 cup of broth from the stew and whisk it in with the flour. Add flour and broth mixture back to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Let cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Add frozen green peas. Stir. Stew will thaw and warm peas.
- Serve hot with freshly grated cheese and parsley.