Every year for Christmas Eve we have fondue. The “Littlest Boy” loves gummy bears dipped in chocolate fondue. He has been begging me to make fondue so he can “dunk” gummy bears in it. I love the tradition and don’t want to wear out the awe of the fondue. So I resisted his cute little face and didn’t make fondue for him. However, I couldn’t completely resist him. So, I created a replacement.
Gummy Bear Bark was a perfect substitute for the fondue. I actually lured him in the house to help me make it. Score for me!! He loved the bark. Score for him!! We all won!!
Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and dipping milk chocolate chunks together on a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave on medium power for one minute intervals. Stirring after each minute. Watch closely and don’t overcook. As you stir the warm chocolate will melt the rest of the chunks. (Chocolate can scorch easily. So be sure to use 1/2 power and stir often.)
Stir together until it is all melted. Add orange extract and stir in. I think we could have stopped right here. And I’m not going to say that we didn’t test it out with a few gummy bears at this point. Just try to save enough chocolate to make a little bark.
I thought that I would have to cut the gummy bears in half so they wouldn’t be too big in the bark. But I found these “tiny” ones at Walmart. They worked perfect and saved
me one of the boys all the hard work of cutting the bears.
Spread the chocolate onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I spread it a little less that a 1/4 inch thick.
“Littlest Boy” added the gummy bears to the chocolate.
Press the bears down into the bark with the back of a spatula.
Break bark into pieces.
Store hide in a cool place. Bribe your children with it. They will do amazing things!!
- 2 cups chopped milk dipping chocolate
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. orange extract (optional)
- 1-2 cups gummy bears (tiny ones are best)
- Melt chocolates in the microwave at ½ power for 1 minute intervals, stirring after each minute. Continue until chocolate is melted. Add orange extract, if desired.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Pour chocolate on paper. About ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle gummy bears on chocolate. Press into chocolate with the back of a spatula.
- Cool. Break into pieces. Store in cool place.