Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwiches are bursting with flavor, thanks to tart diced apples, sweet grapes, and crunchy almonds! Greek yogurt adds another flavor of yumminess while keeping them healthy! Since we are still trying to keep our New Year’s Resolutions, these sandwiches are showing up on our menus several times a week!
Did anyone else’s jeans shrink over Christmas break? Either my dryer has magical shrinking powers or I ate too much junk throughout the holidays. In my mind I wish my dryer had shrinking powers because I think it would be easier for me to hop in the dryer for a few minutes a day than it will be to eat healthy! It’s not that I don’t like healthy food; I just forget that I like healthy food. And I never forget that I like brownies! Since I know that the problem really isn’t the dryer, I’m on a cleaner eating diet until my jeans fit again. Don’t worry, I’m still eating dessert, a little healthier dessert, every day and will keep sharing those yummy recipes with you!
What can a say? I am a huge fan of Greek yogurt! It’s my go to ingredient when I’m trying to lighten my recipes up. I’ve added it to so many things like Potato Salad, Grape Salad, and even brownies with success! I love the stuff so it was a no brainer to add it to my traditional chicken salad recipe. I don’t feel like I lost any of that decadent creaminess by making the Greek yogurt switcheroo!
Apples are one of my very favorite foods in the world and grapes rank right up there too. I adore the fresh flavor and crunch they add to the mix. I equally adore the crunchy almonds.
Look at these cute school boys! Who knows where the little one was? They pack a lunch to school every day. Two of them have access to a microwave and one doesn’t. I get so tired of making sandwiches and can only imagine how tired they get of eating them. I try to switch things up once in a while. Chicken salad sandwiches are a nice change for them and I love that they can be made ahead. (Here’s my favorite method for preparing and shredding chicken)
So, this chicken salad is healthy. Croissants are not! We like this salad in a lettuce wrap, a tortilla wrap, or served with whole wheat crackers. All of them are delicious!
If your dryer is shrinking your clothes, or if you just enjoy being healthy, you are going to love this new healthied up version of chicken salad!
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- ¼ cup apples, finely diced
- ¼ cup grapes, cut in half
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese (If you are really trying to eat healthy you might have to cut this out, but I'm married to a dairy farmer and we don't slack off on our cheese consumption)
- ⅛ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 T. honey, optional (my boys like it and I don't really care for it)
- 1 T. lime juice
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. season salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Lettuce, whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, tortillas, or croissants for making sandwiches
- In a mixing bowl whisk Greek yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder, season salt and black pepper together.
- Add shredded chicken, apples, grapes, and almonds. Stir making sure to coat ingredients with yogurt sauce.
- Refrigerate, or serve immediately. I think this mixture gets a little better if the ingredients have a chance to hangout together for awhile before serving. A couple of hours will do!