My mom used to make this gingerbread quite often. She would serve it either for dessert of for breakfast. My mom is a huge fan of dessert for breakfast and the grand kids love that about grandma! When she serves it for breakfast she serves it with applesauce and whipped cream. When she serves it for dessert she serves it with lemon sauce and whipped cream! And she always sprinkles nutmeg on top! It makes the whole thing warm and pretty!
Start by creaming shortening and sugar together. Then add egg and molasses and cream together.
Sift in dry ingredients.
While mixing slowly add hot water.
My mom always cut the gingerbread pieces in half. This allows each piece to hold more sauce and whipped cream! It’s a very smart idea!! Here is a link to the Zesty Lemon Sauce that my mom used to serve with this gingerbread! https://www.littledairyontheprairie.com/zesty-lemon-sauce/
This cake like gingerbread would be delicious with a warm caramel sauce. A cream sauce would be yummy too!
My boys love recipes that come from Grandma! This is one of them! It’s warm and decadent. This gingerbread makes you feel loved!
- ½ cup shortening (you may substitute softened butter if desired)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup boiling water
- Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to a sifter.
- Alternately add sifted dry ingredients and boiling water mixing after each addition.
- Bake in greased 9" x 9" pan at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm!
- NOTE: I have never made this gingerbread without having it fall in the middle.I have thought of experimenting with this recipe to "fix" that. However, since it is so tasty I haven't worried about the fallen middle. If you figure it out...let me know!