Greek Yogurt Brownies are so decadent than nobody will know they are a healthy brownie recipe unless you tell them! They are ultra-rich, extra fudgy, and have the perfect amount of tangy flavor! They can be made in one bowl too!
I am a huge brownie fan! I’m not sure if I like the brownies better or the batter. Either way, making warm, gooey, fudgy brownies ends up on my to-do list about weekly! Since I am a huge advocate of Greek yogurt, I thought it only seemed right to try making brownies using it. Really, I should have tried this years ago. The middle pieces are especially fudgy. In fact, when we were eating them Justin commented on how heavy these brownies are. My friends, you don’t get heavy brownies that are cake-like. If you like fudgy brownies (of course you do, who doesn’t), these brownies are for you!
I have to remind you I’m still a HUGE fan of butter. You can’t go wrong with butter. But, in these brownies, the Greek yogurt not only gives them a great fudgy texture, but it also gives them a little bit of a tang. A tang that I happened to love. Adding huge chocolate chips probably took these brownies from what could have been healthy into what was downright delish! Which is fine with me! I will just run a little farther today!
Although this recipe is healthier than traditional brownies, if you want to be able to call them truly healthy brownies you’ll want to make a few swaps.
- use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose
- skip the chocolate chips on top – I promise they’ll still be plenty chocolaty
- use Stevia or Splenda instead of sugar- follow substitution instructions on the package
Did I mention these are rich enough and chocolaty enough that you can skip the frosting them? That’s right, one less step for you and they still taste amazing. By the way, the brownies get fudgier the next day, if they last long enough to taste. I put a Post It note on mine that said, “You can have the edges, do NOT eat the middle pieces. I still need to take pictures”. That’s why mine lasted over 24 hours! I say even if you aren’t taking pictures you should try it! It’s more brownies for you!
Fudgy Greek Yogurt Brownies
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8" x 8" pan with aluminum foil, draping some over the edges. Spray foil with baking spray.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips to a microwavable mixing bowl. Microwave on half power for 1 minute. Stir. Continue to microwave at half power, in 30-second intervals until chips are melted. Set aside.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cocoa. Stir to combine.
- Add Greek yogurt and vanilla to chocolate mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour brownie batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle milk chocolate chips and walnuts over batter if desired. Bake for 38-32 minutes. It will look underdone even when they are done. Be careful to not over bake!
- Whole Wheat flour may be used instead of all purpose flour.
- You may use a different type of sweetener such as Splenda or Stevia instead of sugar. Follow package directions. I don't use those kinds of sweeteners so I can't really give great suggestions on how to substitute them.
- Skip sprinkling chocolate chips on top of brownies for a healthier brownie.