Cheesesteak Stromboli is everything you love about classic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches except it’s all rolled up in frozen dough and baked! This recipe is easy to make and takes ingredients we almost always have on hand!
Thanks to Rhodes Bake N Serve for sponsoring today’s post! As always all opinions are my own! #Rhodes #frozendough
Right now everyone is trying the whole pantry living game! Because we live so far from town I feel like we pretty much live from whatever staples we have on hand all the time anyway. That’s why recipes like Breakfast Calzones, Breakfast Ham & Cheese Rollup, and Pizza Sliders are always on the menu around here!
It always cracks me up when I go to the internet to search for something like “Philly Cheesesteak” and the first thing it brings up is “Best Philly Cheesesteak Calzone near me”. Ummmm! The best steak and cheese calzone near me is the one I make myself!
Stromboli vs. Calzone
The hardest thing about making and sharing this recipe with you was trying to decide if it’s a Steak and Cheese Calzone recipe, or a Steak and Cheese Stromboli?
What’s the difference between a calzone and a Stromboli anyway? A calzone is made on a round piece of dough and folded over to make a half-moon. Stromboli has the ingredients spread over the dough and rolled up cinnamon roll style, but it isn’t cut into pieces until after it’s baked.
Ingredients for making Stromboli
Stromboli recipes can be as simple or as creative as you’d like! We like to keep things simple over here!
- Pizza Dough – Our favorite is using a loaf of frozen Rhodes bread. I always have it on hand and it tastes as close as homemade as you can get!
- Steak – I like using sliced deli roast beef, I know it’s not the authentic Philly Cheese meat, but it’s all beef, quick and easy, and it’s good enough for me! If you have a ribeye or skirt steak and you want to use it go ahead! You can also fry hamburger and use it if that’s what you in the freezer.
- Peppers – Use green, red, yellow, orange.
- Onions – I like sweet onions, but anything will be great! Use more if you love them!
- Mushrooms – I left them off because my family doesn’t like them! I’d add a bunch if it was completely up to me!
- Cheese – Sliced or grated will work. Provolone is classic. You can use whatever you have in the fridge though!
- Mayonaisse – Add a little garlic if you’d like
- Butter – Brush it on top of the stromboli before you bake it. Add garlic salt, parsley, and sesame seeds if you want.
How to make Cheesesteak Stromboli
STEP 1: Thaw bread dough and let rise according to package instructions
STEP 2: Dice onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Saute in a skillet with butter.
STEP 3: Roll bread dough out to a 12″ x 18″ rectangle. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
STEP 4: Mix mayonnaise with garlic. Spread over rolled out bread.
STEP 5: Add a layer of deli roast beef.
STEP 6: Add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms.
STEP 7: Add a layer of cheese.
STEP 8: Roll the stromboli up jelly-roll style. It will be easier to roll up tightly if you used shredded cheese. I used provolone slices and I folded the edges over the middle. It makes a shorter and wider roll, but that’s okay! Set it on a baking sheet.
STEP 9: Brush melted butter over the top of the roll. Sprinkle with parsley, garlic seasoning, and sesame seeds if desired.
STEP 10: Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
STEP 11: Cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 2-3 inch slices and serve.
What to serve with stromboli?
Philly cheese steak stromboli is more like a sandwich so think about “which side dishes to serve with sandwiches” and all of those options will be great! Since these are really similar to steak and cheese calzones you can also serve them with sides that go with pizza!
Here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Cheesy Potato Chips – oven-baked
- Healthy Potato Salad – made with Greek yogurt
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing – for dipping your stromboli and for veggies
- Marinated Cucumbers – make them and keep them in the fridge
- Smashed Potatoes – loaded
Other easy oven-baked sandwich recipes
Sandwiches are a classic meal for a reason…they’re easy, cheap, and everyone loves them! Here are a few oven-baked sandwich recipes that will switch up your sandwich game and make it exciting again!
- Breakfast Calzone – loaded with ham, eggs, and cheese
- Spaghetti Sandwiches – so easy if you have leftover spaghetti
- Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches – party sandwiches
- Pizza Sliders – an easy version of pepperoni pizza
- Italian Chicken Sandwich – I use leftover chicken to make them really fast
- Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese – AMAZING
Grab my Cheesesteak Stromboli Recipe
You guys, this new version of a steak calzone will knock your socks off! You just can’t beat layers of homemade bread, gooey cheese, and hearty beef! And, we had leftovers last time I made this, and I think they were almost even better the next day! Now that’s a leftover win!
- 1 loaf Rhodes Frozen White Bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp dried parsley
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- Thaw bread dough and let rise according to package instructions.
- Dice onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Saute in a skillet with 1 Tablespooon of butter.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Roll bread dough out to a 12" x 18" rectangle. It doesn't have to be perfect!
- Mix mayonnaise with garlic powder. Spread over rolled out bread leaving an half inch border.
- Add a layer of deli roast beef.
- Add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms.
- Add a layer of cheese.
- Roll the stromboli up jelly-roll style. It will be easier to roll up tightly if you used shredded cheese. I used provolone slices and I folded the edges over the middle. It makes a shorter and wider roll, but that's okay! Set it on a baking sheet.
- Melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Brush melted butter over the top of the roll. Sprinkle with parsley, garlic seasoning, and sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown and warmed all the way through.