I have tried several different southwest style chicken soups. And this one is the best! Right before the soup is ready to be served, stir in a package of cream cheese. What more do you need to know. Cream cheese means it is going to be the best!!
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Add corn, rinsed beans and chicken to a slow cooker. I froze the corn from my garden last year so I through a bag of that in. It is probably more than a can’s worth. But we love corn so it was we didn’t mind.
Add all of the dry ranch seasonings, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Add a small can of undrained diced green chilies. Add one can of stewed tomatoes. 1/2 diced onion. And since I was trying to clean out my refrigerator I added the left over salsa, probably about 1/2 a cup.
Give it a stir. Put it on the heat and let ‘er rip, tater chip! When you are ready to serve put one 8 ounce package of cream cheese in. Let it sit for a minute and then stir it in.
Serve with grated Colby Jack or cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro and corn chips.
Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup
- 1 can drained black beans
- 1 can undrained corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes I use a quart of home canned tomatoes
- 1 can chicken broth optional, my home canned tomatoes provide enough juice
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 chicken breasts or 1 can chicken
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- Corn Chips grated cheddar cheese, cilantro and sour cream
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Put all ingredients except cream cheese in a slow cooker. If you are using canned chicken just add it. If you are using raw chicken breasts add them.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving add a package of softened cream cheese to slow cooker. Stir until melted and combined together.
- If you have used raw chicken breast remove them from the slow cooker and shred. Return and stir chicken into the soup.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, grated cheddar cheese and corn chips.