I swear these creamed eggs and ham with cheddar biscuits taste like something they would serve at Cracker Barrel. Who knows, maybe they do. I live 250 miles from the nearest Cracker Barrel so I’m not overly familiar with their menu. If I created the Cracker Barrel menu, these would definitely be on it! It’s savory, cheesy, hearty and pretty too!
You all know how I feel about breakfast, right? I love breakfast, but I don’t love waking up any earlier than 6:30 to make it. The creamed eggs and ham can easily be made the day before. All that’s left in the morning is to bake the biscuits and warm the creamed eggs and ham. That’s my kind of breakfast.
This breakfast is pretty enough to be served on Holidays or to guests. It’s also easy enough it can be added to your “normal” breakfast rotation.
I can’t decide if I should make this for Easter brunch. Or, if I should make it the next day with my leftover ham and hard boiled eggs. Either way, it’s going to end up on my table soon!
- Creamed Eggs and Ham
- 5 T. butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 3 c. milk
- 1 t. salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dash paprika
- a couple dashes of hot sauce, adjust to taste
- 1 c. Swiss cheese, grated
- 6 hard boiled eggs, divided
- 1-2 c. ham, diced and cooked (use more or less to taste)
- 1 red sweet pepper, diced
- 8 biscuits (homemade of favorite store bought, I used Pillsbury)
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, grated
- Bake biscuits two minutes shorter than package directions. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top of each biscuit. Continue baking for additional two minutes or until cheese is melted.
- CREAMED EGGS AND HAM:
- Add 1 Tablespoon butter to a sauce pan over medium heat. Add diced peppers and ham. Saute until the peppers and ham get a nice golden color. Don't over cook, you want the peppers to still be crisp. Remove from saucepan.
- To same sauce pan add and melt remaining 4 Tablespoons butter. Add flour and whisk to combine, creating a roux. Gradually add milk and whisk. Continue to simmer, while stirring, until thickened.
- To thickened gravy add Swiss cheese, ham and peppers, salt and pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Dice five eggs and add to gravy.
- Split biscuits in half. Serve with creamed eggs and ham over biscuits. Dice additional egg and sprinkle over creamed eggs and ham. I like to garnish with a little bit of parsley.