Lets face it, a lot of us watch football because we love football food. Okay, I really do enjoy watching college football, not so much the NFL. Although, I must admit that a good game is also a good excuse to make some finger licking good dips and settle in on the sofa for awhile! You all know that I live with four manly meat eating men. I’m so lucky! And I fit right in because I think I actually love eating meat more than they do. What can I say? I’m a carnivore!! When I plan my football food I always want to include a few things. 1. Something healthy like apples, etc. 2. Something extra cheesy like fried cheese sticks or some other kind of cheese 3. Something meaty. If we didn’t have meat it wouldn’t be a meal. And I don’t want to have to make dinner after all of that snacking. We gotta count it as a meal. This Cheesy Chili Dog Dip fits the bill. So does this beef stick! It’s amazing!! 4. Something with chips. 5. Something sweet! Or a few somethings sweet. To be completely honest I thought of this dip because my youngest child just started saying “chili dog baby”! This is his phrase of choice for those times when the world is treating him right. For example…when he wanders up stairs at 9:00 (yes that’s about when he wakes up, it’s a hard life), and notices that I made a killer breakfast. That earns a, “chili dog baby”! Or when he learns that he doesn’t have school the next day. That is “chili dog baby” worthy!
Anyway, one day I must have done something fabulous because he gave me a “chili dog baby”, and that’s when the thought popped into my mind that it chili dog dip would be amazing!
This dip is extra cheesy and yummy. I put the dip in a slow cooker. When it’s party time all of the guests can pile their dip with whatever toppings they like. It’s so fun!! You should definitely include this in your Super Bowl line up! Trust me…you will be the winner!
Cheesy Chili Dog Dip
- 2 15 oz cans chili with beans or homemade if you are ambitious
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies drained (I used mild)
- 8 oz. Cheese Whiz
- 1 t. chili powder
- hot sauce to taste
- 8 hot dogs all beef
- Chips for serving
- Fried and crumbled bacon
- grated cheddar cheese pepper jack would be great
- sour cream guacamole, salsa
- sliced green onions
- diced tomatoes
- sliced olives
- Cut hot dogs in half length wise. Slice them into 1/8" pieces.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat, fry bacon. Remove and drain on paper towels. Drain all but a Tablespoon of bacon grease, add hot dogs, fry until hot dogs have a nice color. Remove hot dogs and drain on a paper towels.
- Wipe the sauce pan clean with a paper towel. Add chili, green chili's chili powder, hot sauce and Cheese Whiz to pan. Add hot dogs to chili. Simmer over medium heat until well combined if you are serving immediately. Or put in a slow cooker and cook on low for about 2 hours.
- Serve with an assortment of toppings. It's really good with corn chips, tortilla chips or toasted bread.
- NOTE: I made the chili dip without including the hot dogs. We added them to the top of the dip then other toppings. It's not quiet as easy this way though!
- Serve with
All of this hot dog/chili dog talk made me think of warmer days and happy memories. We have a fire pit in our back yard and our family loves it! My fire loving boys like to fight over who gets to light the match. They cut limbs off of great grandma’s willow trees and poke and prod the fire until it’s time to cook the hot dogs. We roast hot dogs and smore’s, eat and then fight over who gets to use the hose to put the fire out! It’s so much fun.
Grandma and Grandpa happened to be here last year on my babies birthday and of course he wanted a hot dog roast.
Here is a blast from the past. Look how little and cute my middle child used to be. Well, he’s still cute just not so little. Here’s one more picture that shows what a great dad Justin is!