Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies is everything you love about carrot cake in a super easy cookie recipe! These cookies are made with a cake mix and have the best cream cheese filling! They’re really fun for Easter!
My kids told me they saw carrot cookies at Walmart, but they didn’t say anything about it until we got home. I’m for sure not going to make the long trek back to town to buy them! We went back to my homemade Oreo recipe and swapped the chocolate cake mix for a carrot cake mix. I’m a serious chocoholic and I loved these simple cookies!
My mom used to make carrot cookies that had orange icing and we loved how soft, and moist they were! There’s just something magical about what happens to desserts when you add carrots or pumpkin. Those cookies my mom made were citrusy, these cookies have that classic warm spice taste! Plus these carrot cake cookies from cake mix are way easier to make then hers were! No peeling and grating carrots with this recipe!
Ingredients for Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
Like I said, these cookies are made with simple ingredients that can be easily stored, which means I can make them pretty much anytime I want! You’ll need a few refrigerator items too; cream cheese, butter, and cream. So if you’re carrot cake mix recipes this is exactly what you’re looking for! So are my Carrot Cookies!
Carrot Cake Cake Mix – use any brand you want, I usually use Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury
- Oil – vegetable or canola oil are best
- Cream Cheese – use full fat. Neufchâtel (lower fat cream cheese) has a higher water content so it will make your frosting runny.
- Butter – Use real butter, salted or unsalted will work
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy Cream – you can use whole milk, 2% milk, or evaporated milk if you need to. Heavy cream will make the icing a little fluffier.
- Salt – optional. It offsets the sweetness of the sugar.
How to make sandwich cookies with a cake mix
I LOVE making cookies with a cake mix! Cookies come together in a flash when all you have to do is open a box and adding a few other pantry type ingredients! Besides that, they are always really moist and chewy and we all like that! Besides that, I always have cake mixes in my storage room.
To make cookies
STEP 1: Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together.
STEP 2: Roll dough into Tablespoon size cookies
STEP 3: Bake. Let cool for a minute on cookie sheets. Remove to a cooling rack to completely cool.
How to make cream cheese glaze
STEP 1: Beat cream cheese until smooth. (Must be room temperature or it will be lumpy)
STEP 2: Add powdered sugar, butter, cream, vanilla, and a dash of salt. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
How to assemble cookies
Spread icing on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Place another cookie on top to make a sandwich.
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies and more!
Here are a few other cake mix cookie recipes you’ll love!
- Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies – Obviously, they are perfect for Christmas but they’re a hit all year long
- Butterscotch Cake Mix Cookies – the BEST bar cookies recipe
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies – with cream cheese
- Carrot Cookies – rolled in powdered sugar
Cake mixes are a great shortcut for lots of desserts, including cake! Here are a few of that kind of cake mix recipe ideas!
- Pistachio Cake – marbled with chocolate
- Triple Chocolate Cake using Cake Mix – chocolate lovers dream come true
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling – plus cream cheese frosting
- Strawberry Banana Bread – YES! It’s made with cake mix
- Strawberry Poke Cake – made with sweetened condensed milk
Grab my Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies Recipe
If you’re looking for something a little different for your Easter dessert this year these cookies are just the thing! My kids love them packed in their lunches for school, or as a snack! It’s also a great recipe to have the kids help you with because they’re so easy to make!
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
FOR THE COOKIES
- 15.25 ounce box carrot cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
FOR THE COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, oil and eggs together.
- Roll cookies into Tablespoon shaped balls. Place on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Take them out as soon as they start to crack. Don't over bake.
- Let cool on baking sheet for a minute. Then remove to the wire rack to completely cool
- Match pairs of cookies according to size.
- Ice bottom of one cookie with icing. Top with another cookie.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- Beat cream cheese until it's smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, butter, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Add half of the cream and vanilla and mix until smooth. If the frosting is too stiff add the rest of the cream and beat again for 2 minjtes until it's fluffy.
- Continue to beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.