My mom shared a version of this breakfast casserole with me a few years ago. Since neither one of us really follow recipes I’m sure it really doesn’t look like the original. I love that I can make this the day, or days, before. On hectic mornings all I have to do is pop it in the oven. I make it all the time when I want bringing a meal to someone.
Breakfast casserole is a standby when the hoof trimmers are coming to my house at 6:00 a.m. for breakfast.
Put 10 ounces of raw hash browns in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Slice 1/4 cup butter and put on top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
Wisk 6 eggs. Add about 1 1/2 cups of half and half. Stir in the most important part, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese. I don’t measure but I’m pretty sure I use much more cheese than that. You know we are the “little dairy”, we have to use lots of cheese. Potatoes need seasonings so add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
I’m assuming that you know how to brown sausage, so no pictures. Anyway, brown some sausage, or dice some ham, or fry bacon and cut into bite size pieces. And gently combine it with the cooked hash browns.
Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the top of the potatoes and sausage. Gently combine. This is when I cover it up and put it in the fridge to save for the morning. When you are ready, bake it covered with foil at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Then remove foil and continue to bake it for about 10 minutes. If you didn’t put it in the fridge overnight you won’t need to bake it quite as long.
Make sure to doll it up with some parsley. Mostly because Grandma Chum would be happy that you put something pretty on that plate.
But mostly, put it on the plate because this man will want to eat it. I tried to tell him that he probably wouldn’t like it. But he had to try it anyway. He said it wasn’t too bad. “Just needs some pudding on it” he said.
- 1 10 ounce bag of hash browns
- ¼ cup butter
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups browned sausage, diced ham, or fried and crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spread hash browns in a greased 9 x 13 dish. Slice butter and put it on top of hash browns. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Wisk eggs. Add milk. Stir in cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir browned sausage in with the cooked hash browns.
- Pour egg and cheese mixture over the hash browns.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate until the morning. Then bake covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- If you don't want to refrigerate reduce baking time to 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.