I have a confession to make. I don’t really love apple pie. I like it about once a year. I’m a firm believer in chocolate being the star of every dessert that I make, or eat. I have never added chocolate to my apple pie, although that is an interesting thought. Hmm. Now I’m really thinking about possible apple and chocolate combinations. I will get back to you on that one…
Although apple pie is not my favorite, I am a lover of cheesecake. I decided to combine all the yummy of cinnamon apples and cheesecake together with an apple crisp crust. These bars are perfect for fall! They were so yummy that I didn’t really even miss the chocolate! That’s how good they are!
Put flour, brown sugar, oats and butter in a food processor.
Process until the ingredients are starting to combine. Pieces should be about the size of a pea.
Reserve about 1 cup of the crust mixture. Press the remaining crust in a greased 9×9 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes.
Beat one package of softened cream cheese. Make sure it’s room temperature before beating.
Add vanilla and brown sugar and beat until combined.
Add sour cream and fold to incorporate.
Dice 2 apples. Toss with brown sugar and cinnamon.
Ok, you know I am not very good at taking pictures of every step. This is what
you I we missed.
1. After crust has baked for 10 minutes, remove it from the oven. (Obvious right?)
2. Pour cream cheese mixture onto the crust and spread it around.
3. This is where I pick back up with the pictures. Sprinkle diced apples over cream cheese layer.
Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apple layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheesecake looks set.
Let cool completely and cut into squares. Serve with caramel drizzled over the top of cheesecake bars. It’s even better if the caramel is a little bit warm.
Or cut into triangles and drizzle with caramel. These cheesecake bars bring all the yummy cinnamon apples and cheesecake flavors together in one place. It really is easier than apple pie!
- 1 c. flour
- ½ c. butter
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¾ c. oatmeal
- CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 T. brown sugar
- Add flour, sugar, oats and butter to food processor.
- Process until pea sized crumbs form.
- Reserve 1 cups oat mixture. Spread remaining mixture in a greased 9x9 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degree for 10 minutes.
- CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- Beat room temperature cream cheese until smooth.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla, beat until smooth.
- Add sour cream and stir to combine.
- Add room temperature egg and beat to combine.
- Pour over cooked and slightly cooled crust. Spread to edges.
- Peel and dice apples.
- Toss with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle over cheesecake layer.
- Top apple layer with remaining oat crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 350.
- Cool and cut into squares.
- Store in refrigerator.