Summer means watermelon, and we eat it almost everyday! I’ve learned the fastest and easiest way to cut watermelon without making a huge mess! You are going to wonder why you haven’t been cutting it this way your whole life!
There is no summer treat, side dish, or dessert quiet as juicy, sweet, healthy, and refreshing as watermelon. Cutting a watermelon can feel a little bit like wrestling a baby pig. Watermelons are big and slippery, not to mention that sweet juice drips all over the floor and the counter top which makes a nice sticky mess. There is no need to be in a wrestling match so I’m going to show you the easiest way to cut watermelon. Seriously it’s EASY! Make sure you use a good quality long knife.
- Cut the watermelon into half, then cut each half into halves. You will now have quarters.
- 2. Slice on quarter of the watermelon in about 1/2″-1″ slices. Cut all the way to the rind but not through the rind.
- Turn the quarter piece of watermelon and cut more slices, in the same width as the previous cuts, perpendicular to the previous cuts. Hopefully that makes sense. Look at the middle picture if you are a visual person.
- Rotate the watermelon to the side that doesn’t have the perpendicular cuts and repeat step 3 on that side.
- Run the blade of the knife just between the fleshy part of the watermelon and the white part of the rind. As you slice lift the slightly on the knife to make sure all the watermelon cubes are released from the rind. I usually start on one end of one side then flip the watermelon around and cut on the other side cutting from right to left.Here’s the part that’s going to make you believe this really is the easiest way to cut a watermelon. It’s the fun part. Pour the watermelon into a bowl. BOOM! Just like that! Very little mess. Quick. Easy. Just make sure you use a good knife! I used a knife from my Cutco knife set. It’s awesome, and no I didn’t get paid to say that!
Isn’t my helper the cutest? There you go! You are going to love this super easy method for cutting watermelon! And if you are like my family you are going to get the chance to practice every week for the rest of the summer!