Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast that tastes like dessert! Count me in! Under the top layer of crunchy almonds and sweet oatmeal there is surprise of fruit and chocolate chips!
I impatiently wait for my rhubarb plant to start producing all spring long. Then when it’s finally ready to pick, I can’t decide what to make. I start clipping and pinning rhubarb recipes early and get overwhelmed by all of the yummy goodness! This year I decided to make these first.
This baked oatmeal isn’t just oatmeal. It has flour and eggs in it too. Maybe it’s a cross between baked oatmeal and a muffin. Either way, it’s yummy. I made mine with just a little bit of honey. I think next time I will add more. I gotta satisfy my sweet tooth first thing in the morning.
Strawberries, rhubarb and chocolate chips bake in the bottom creating an almost cobbler, like filling. The chocolate chips are a must have! It would be extra yummy with fresh whipped cream on the top. I’m glad I didn’t think of that before, or I would have done it! Then it really would have been like dessert instead of breakfast. Although, I am NOT above having dessert for breakfast!
You could make these with any combination of fruit for variety. Baked oatmeal is another one of those breakfast you can throw together and bake while you are in the shower. Or while you are persuading your children to get dressed, put their shoes on, get their homework out. I’ll stop now!
Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal is easy enough even Dad’s and kids could make them for Mothers Day. Or if you are like me, your husband will be working with his cows on Mothers Day and you will be left to make your own. In that case, you will be happy that it’s easy!
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 T. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extracts
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ¾ c. oats
- ⅓ c. flour
- 1½ c. fruit (rhubarb, strawberries)
- 4 T. mini chocolate chips
- 4 T. sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 4 ramekins. Divide fruit among ramekins. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Beat eggs, milk, honey and extracts. Stir in oats and flour. Ladle into ramekins. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- NOTE: This is not overly sweet because it is breakfast and supposed to be healthy. Chocolate chips make it almost dessert like. However, I must admit, I like it with a little brown sugar sprinkled on top!