I have a brother who loathes onions. I think he begs his wife to not eat them. And if she does I don’t think he kisses her until he can’t smell the onion anymore. If his nose is anything like mine…he can smell them for weeks. One time I made this dip and took it to their house and he loved it and requested that I make it and bring it to other family get together’s! The big boss on this dairy hates onions too and he devours this dip. So, even onion haters will love this dip. It’s the cheese, it’s irresistible!
I love the freshly grated Parmesan cheese crust on the top!
Dice the loathed onions and saute them in butter over medium heat until tender.
I used to do this job with a knife until it dawned on me that a food processor would be easier. Either way chop some artichokes. You want them pretty fine because you want them to fit on your chip.
Since the food processor already needs to be washed, use it to chop fresh spinach pretty fine too.
After onions are sauteed turn heat to low and add softened cream cheese and sour cream. Add grated cheddar, Colby jack and Parmesan cheese. Stir together until melted and smooth.
Stir in chopped artichokes, season salt and hot sauce.
And the pretty fresh spinach.
Stir it all together. You will want to taste test and add more hot sauce as desired.This dip is amazingly delicious at this point and can be served as is.
Or…you can add freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the top. Broil it for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
If you need to make this dip ahead of time, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate like this. Like this! It’s worth it even though it’s a little hard to get a bite size amount of this crusty cheese on your dip or bread.
Spread a little bit on a thin and crusty baguette slice, crackers, or pita chips.
Or serve with tortilla chips.
Gather your family around this spicy dip and warm up from the inside out!
- ¼ c. butter
- 1 c. diced onion
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 1 c. sour cream
- ¼ tsp. season salt (adjust to taste)
- dashes of hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 2 c. fresh spinach
- ¾ c. Colby jack cheese
- ¾ c. cheddar cheese
- ¾ c. Parmesan cheese (divided)
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile chop artichokes into pea sized pieces. I use my food processor. Separately from artichokes, chop fresh spinach.
- When onions are tender add cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar and Colby Jack cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese. Stir.
- Add chopped artichokes, hot sauce and season salt. Stir.
- Stir in fresh chopped spinach. (The pretty green color of the spinach is preserved by not cooking it)
- Pour in a greased baking dish. Top with remaining grated Parmesan cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Serve with tortilla chips, baguette slices, pita chips or crackers.