Slow Cooker Creamed Peas, Potatoes, and Ham is a super quick and easy version of a hearty and comforting classic your grandma used to make!
I spend the entire summer outside hanging out with the boys, working in the yard, washing the car, and other fun activities. I always tell myself when school starts I will crack down and clean my house, take care three months worth of filing, and find my desk. I just can’t drag myself inside when it’s so nice out to do boring jobs like paying bills. Last week I locked myself in the office for three days straight. On days like this my family survives on no bake recipes like No Bake Caramel Cookies, No Bake Pumpkin Icebox Cake, and grilled meat and veggies, hello Grilled Zucchini Packets! One of the days I left the office and headed to the school to pick the boys up for piano lessons. That day I decided to make Slow Cooker Creamed Peas, Potatoes, and Ham! It was incredibly easy to make and the boys loved it!
First, dice all the veggies, ham, and herbs. Put them all in the slow cooker and add some seasonings.
Then give it a toss to make sure the whole thing gets coated in flour.
Always add cheese because it makes everything better!
Pour in a little chicken broth, you knew it was going to need some liquid right? Turn the slow cooker on and let it rip.
And butter because it make everything better too!
When I got home at night (and it’s was too dark to take pictures for my blog) I add peas, sour cream, and more cheese, and gave it a little stir. Trust me, you are going to love how easy this is!
I normally make creamed peas and potatoes by starting out with a basic white sauce and add boiled peas and potatoes. This slow cooker version was SOOOO much easier! Adding ham turned it into a hearty meal. My kids have been begging to take leftover to school for lunch. I’m pretty much hooked on this version of Slow Cooker Creamed Peas, Potatoes, and Ham ASAP! Everyone has time to stir a few frozen peas into the slow cooker at night right?
- 1½ chicken broth
- 4 c. diced potatoes
- 2 c. diced ham
- ½ diced onion
- ⅓ c. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground thyme
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ c. butter
- 2 c. frozen peas
- 1 c. sour cream
- milk, to thin if necessary
- Add potatoes, ham, onion, seasonings, one cup of cheese, and flour to slow cooker. Toss together to coat in flour.
- Pour chicken broth over potatoes. Stir. Set slices of butter over potatoes.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- After cooking stir frozen peas, and sour cream into the potato mixture. The peas will thaw and warm quickly. If creamed potatoes are too thick add a little extra milk to think them out. If they are too thin make a little slurry of flour mixed with milk and add it to the potatoes. It will thicken after a few minutes. You might also want to taste and add more salt to taste.
- Top potatoes with remaining cheese. Put the lid back on the slow cooker and let it sit for a few minutes until the peas are melted.
- Serve warm!