Slow Cooker Cheesy Creamed Corn is on of those side dishes that everyone raves about! It’s fancy enough for company and so incredibly easy that it’s perfect for weeknight dinners!
We celebrated Justin’s birthday a little while ago. Other people on our farm wanted to take the day off, and only so many of us can leave at once, so we knew we would be celebrating at home. I had grand plans of making a roast beef dinner…with mashed potatoes and green beans straight from the garden, and Slow Cooker Cheesy Creamed Corn. For some crazy reason my plans always get all messed up. I ended up running one kid to piano lessons at 6:00 in the morning, then I had to go get some meat from the butcher, and after school I had to take my other two boys to piano lessons. FYI piano lessons happen to be a two hour round trip from my house. Besides all the running Justin needed my help doing some farm jobs for a few hours. Aggghhh!Needless to say, my day was chopped up and I found my self running behind all day. I still made the roast beef dinner with a little help from Justin and the kids. “Happy Birthday! Can you make your own dinner?” Oh well, he was a good sport!
I did make the Slow Cooker Cheesy Creamed Corn myself. I had time because it only takes about 5 minutes to throw together and I managed to scrounge up that much time. I threw a few ingredients in the slow cooker and left the dishes for Carson to clean up.
I can’t even begin to tell you how savory, and sweet, and creamy, and cheesy this Creamed Corn is! It’s one of those side dishes that once you start eating you just can’t stop! Go to the farmers market, or your garden, or the grocery store and grab some corn so you can make this with fresh corn. If you want to make it in the winter, or don’t have fresh corn, you can totally use frozen corn. And that’s even better if you freeze your own. Try out my Sweet Freezer Corn Recipe! Regardless of where you get your corn, go get some and make Slow Cooker Cheesy Creamed Corn soon!
- 6 cups corn (Sometimes I use fresh corn cut cut off the cob, I don't measure it so I'm not exactly sure how many cups there were)
- ½ diced red pepper
- ½ diced onion
- ¼ c. butter
- 1 c. milk
- ½ tsp. seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 c. grated cheese (cheddar, Swiss, pepper jack, pretty much any cheese that melts well)
- 1 T. flour (optional)
- fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Put corn, onion, and red pepper to slow cooker. Add milk, butter, pepper, and seasoned salt. Stir together.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add cream cheese and grated cheese to corn. Stir together until cheese is melted.If the creamed corn is a little too thin, sprinkle flour over creamed corn and stir together. Let it sit in the slow cooker for a few minutes and it will thicken. After it is the desired consistency and cheeses are melted, remove from heat and add minced parsley, if desired.