Homemade Tortilla Bowls are way fun, easy, and inexpensive to make! Seriously, who wouldn’t rather have their salad in this fun little bowl than on a boring ol’ paper plate…both are disposable but not even close to being the same!
Last year for Christmas after much debate we finally decided to give our oldest two boys smartphones. Along with the phones they got a few rules; no phones in the basement which includes their rooms, I got to set locks and parameters, they can’t clear their browsing history, and I get to look at their phones whenever I want).
So about a month ago I changed their wallpapers to pictures of me! And I set a daily reminder on their phones to text/snap me and tell their mother they love her! Sorry to the poor teacher they have at 2:15 every afternoon!
They changed their wallpapers back to pictures of tractors or some other manly thing. But…my oldest snaps me several times a week and tells me he loves me! I realize I pretty much reminded him to love me every time, but it still makes my day!
Seriously, it’s the little things that make life so fun!
Speaking of little things…Homemade Tortilla Bowls are such a little thing but they make salads so much more fun!
I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that quite a few of year are adding salads to your menu since it’s January…you committed to eat healthy…you want to shed a few lbs!
Homemade Tortilla Bowls are a fun way to switch up those boring old salads and make them a little more interesting!
What to add to Homemade Tortilla Bowls?
- Breakfast foods (Check out my Breakfast Burrito Bowls)
- Taco salad
- Oriental Chicken Salad
- Sweet Pork Salad
- Melt cheese on the bottom
- Burrito Bowls
Tips for making Tortilla Bowls
- Set rack in oven to middle position
- Use nonstick cooking spray liberally
- Setting a ball of aluminum foil inside the tortilla will help it to stay open
- Let tortilla shells come to room temperature before trying to work with them.
When life gets crazy it’s the little things that make such a difference. It’s little things like your seventeen year old telling you he loves you (happy dance every single time)! It’s little things like Homemade Tortilla Bowls!
Have a happy day and don’t forget to add a few reminders to your kiddos phones!
- 10 inch tortillas
- 6 inch cake pan
- Nonstick baking spray
- Aluminum foil
- Set oven rack to middle position in the oven. Preheat oven to 400°.
- If tortillas aren’t at room temperature microwave them for a few seconds until they are pliable.
- Generously spray both sides of tortilla with nonstick baking spray. I like to do this over the sink, over an old newspaper, or even outside so I don’t get spray all over the place!
- Press the greased tortillas in bottom and up the sides of the cake pan. Don’t worry if the tortillas isn’t symmetrical on all the sides it will be just fine when it bakes!
- Wad up a piece of aluminum foil forming a large ball. Set the aluminum foil inside of the tortillas shell. It will help the tortilla bake in the form of a bowl.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check to see if it is golden brown and crispy. If not, let it continue to bake for 3-5 more minutes.
- Let cool in cake pans. Then remove aluminum foil. Carefully remove tortillas shells from cake pans.
- Serve immediately or store leftovers in an airtight container.