Are you a chocolate covered cherry lover? Justin loves them. A lot! He gets a box of them every year for Christmas. They are more of a take it or leave it treat for me. But these Chocolate Covered Cherry Krispy Treats…I couldn’t leave them. I ate way more than my share!! For some reason I think that cherries go with Valentines Day. My sister suggested that I cover these Chocolate Covered Cherry Krispy Treats in chocolate. I decided to dip them and sprinkle them with Valentine sprinkles. Just to make everything fun I drizzled a few in white chocolate that I tinted in pink. Aren’t they cute! Mostly I kept it simple and drizzled them in milk chocolate.
I decided to add a little almond flavoring to the krispy treats! It’s my very favorite part! You all know I love an easy and addicting dessert! This one is both! My kids friends wanted to buy these treats out of their lunch boxes!
- ¼ c. butter
- 6 c. mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp. almond flavoring
- ½ c. Nutella
- 5 c. rice cereal
- 1 c. dried cherries (I think maraschino cherries would be good too, but I have never tried it)
- 1 c. chocolate chunks
- Additional chocolate for garnish
- Sprinkles for garnish if desired
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Measure cereal and cherries in a bowl. Measure chocolate chunks in a separate bowl.
- Melt butter for 30 seconds in microwave.
- Toss marshmallows in melted butter. Melt marshmallows in microwave for 1 minute. Every microwave is a little different. Once they are puffy and remove from microwave.
- Add almond extract and Nutella to melted marshmallows. Stir until smooth.
- Quickly add cereal and cherries and stir to combine.
- Add chocolate chunks. Stir again. I don’t add them with the cereal because they get too melted.
- Pour into greased pan. Spread and press to edges.
- Drizzle or frost with chocolate. Decorate with sprinkles if desired.